Monday, June 29, 2009

Rainy Ostrava (Week 12 in Ostrava)


Hello Everyone,
 
So, this week has been an interesting one. It's still raining (we did get a few hours of sunshine on wednesday, if I remember correctly, but that was followed by a freak storm that flooded the streets in a few minutes) here in Ostrava, and Moravia is starting to sink. At least, that's what some people have been saying. Ostrava is in pretty good shape, but there are places where houses are completely gone in the countryside. Apparently some places have been tsunami like, which is kind of odd given that we're landlocked in this part of the world. Either way, rest assured: Elder Anderson is alright. My shoes are polished and waterproof, I got a new umbrella, and I live on the third floor. That, and ostrava is built on a really great drainage system. It'll take a lot more than constant rain/downpour for a few weeks to get us down.
 
Unfortunately, it doesn't take a whole lot of rain to get people from coming out. Combined with a desire to head out on summer break, and suddenly our teaching pool is starting to look as muddy as the river. Funny how that works out. Even still, we had a great Zone conference on saturday. Zone Conference is kind of like flying back home for a few hours, spending some time at the MTC to get your bearings on things and reset your vision, and then you get back home and realize you've got a lot of work to get done in order to meet the new standards. Obedience standards are up, expectations to speak Czech are now up to 80 hours/week (dreaming in czech doesn't count there, either), and music now has to be 100% sacrament meeting appropriate (which, ironically, nixes my Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD's a bit - their Tribute to America has some country style hoedown beats which don't meet that standard), among other things.
 
This week is going to be full of finding. Despite the rainy weather, it shouldn't be to hard to get people to our church building and watch some rainy day films like "The Restoration" or "The Lamb of God". Both are pretty good - if you haven't seen them, I can refer you to some english speaking missionaries back home and they can get you copies.
 
Actually, we had a really great street display on Wednesday. That is to say, it would have been great, but it was raining and a rock concert randomly set up on the main namesti the night before, along with all these street vendors that aren't usually there. So, we went to a smaller park and got a few contacts there. Next time it will be much better. I understand that many of you have been hearing us sing on Facebook thanks to Sister Ivanova. She's absolutely great, if you couldn't tell. And we've also been blessed with a very musically talented district, too. We're making good use of it as we go out singing and finding.
 
Apart from all that and a few neat finding stories (like running into a man who said he wanted to be baptized into OUR church, but no one had told him anything about it yet; he was in a hurry, so we're meeting with him again later this week), this week wasn't as full as it could have been. We've regrouped over the weekend with conference and planning, and if this next week isn't the best week of my mission I'm probably going to have to buy myself a Kofola (Like Coke but better and licorice flavored) and try again next week.
 
Attached are some photos I received from a member. Some are old, some are new, and some I've never seen before. Also, the recipe contest is still open (Even though I don't have any prizes for the best recipes). We really are looking for good ideas for cooking, so send my parents your ideas and they'll forward them on to me.
 
Some of you have asked about the language in your letters (which, I did get - thanks to all my grandparents, my parents, Trevor Johnston, Christie, Kat, and Kayla), and I have to simply say that God makes us into what he needs of us. There's a really neat verse in Exodus where Moses says he's not the best speaker and he might not be the best man for the job as Prophet. God then says that since He made Moses, He consequently made his mouth. And if He made his mouth, then consequently He knows how to make it do what it needs to. I've felt like that and then some the past few weeks. Although I can't articulate any idea I want to, the grammar, understanding, accuracy, and fluency have gone through the roof. It's certainly not due to anything on my part, either. So, if any reader of this blog is a bit of a skeptic, or they've wondered what the gift of tongues mentioned in Acts or other places is all about, take my word for it (no pun intended): When God needs somebody to do something for Him, and when they are doing what he asks of them, He will provide. I honestly don't think about what I need to say in Czech anymore. I just say it. There are a few exceptions still and I'm always improving my ability, but when it's easier to think in Czech and when you even understand what Slovaks say when you run into them, and you can't explain it based on what you're doing, then obviously somebody is making up the difference.
 
Hope you're all doing well, you're happy, healthy, and in good shape. I hear that things back home are really great and that also there are things that are really horrible. Just remember that when we are simply doing what He wants, nothing else matters and everything works out. He said "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light." No matter what, we have burdens in this life. Why not have one that is easy and light instead of one that is full of fear, pain, and uncertainty.
 
Love you all! Feel free to keep sending letters, pictures (yes, we love pictures here very very much), and what's happening in your life.
 
Elder Brent Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment