Monday, August 17, 2009

A new adventure ( Week 1 in Třebíč! Week 18 in Czech)

Hey All!

So, here I am in Třebíč! I don't have a ton of time to write today, but I'll have enough. Elder Machado, my new companion, is awesome. He's from Boise, Idaho, and has a really great grasp on vision, teaching, service, and how teach boldly and powerfully with love. I'm going to be learning a lot this transfer from him, and I'm excited to be here. The branch here is rather small with about 30 regularly attending members. We're planning to fix that this transfer and have a baptismal date, Iva (That's pronounced "Eee-vahh" - think Wall-E from Pixar ;) ). She's an Adventist and she doesn't agree with everything we believe yet, but she's received her personal spiritual witness that what we teach is true and she's making small steps piece by piece. She's hilarious and reminds me of a little girl stuck in a 42 year old lady's body. I haven't had a chance to meet most of our other investigators, but the members here are amazing. It's funny, because we try to teach a lot of member lessons as missionaries, but sometimes we can't do that here because the members are so successful that they don't have time to teach with us.

In other news, our refridgerator works! I've been insanely excited about that one, and have been eating fresh-er food for the last week. Peaches never tasted soo good! I'm also looking into trying a lot more traditional czech food here, since it's a lot smaller town and it feels more like a village in the middle of a forest instead of a big city on the border of two other countries like Ostrava. I really miss Ostrava and the members there, but I'm excited to get to work here in Třebíč!

And, just so you all know, my next letter will be coming in on Saturday. P-Day this week has been moved in observance of Zone Conference on Monday. So, if you're wanting to get anything in the mail before our next conference at the end of September, today or tomorrow would work. I think that it takes about 6 days to get something from Utah to Prague, just for the record. At the very least, I got some very fresh mail on Friday when we went to the leadership conference in Brno for Elder Machado (he's the district leader here, working with our companionship and the 2 elders in Jihlava about an hour away by train). Speaking of which, leadership conferences, I got a fine on Friday. 700 crowns really hurts, especially when your tram ticket is only expired by about 10 minutes. I think that's the most embarrassed I've been on my mission, when the ticket checker started writing out the fine, and said 'Sedmset'. That sounds a lot like 'sedmdesat', which is just 70, so I started grabbing some coins. He then repeated himself in broken english. You could have heard a pin drop. Better still, I didn't have 700 crowns so I had to borrow money from another missionary until I found an ATM. But, it was still a great day. I'm really excited to work in a smaller town. Even people who are typically millitant against religion or Latter Day Saints are friendly. And, the town is small enough, it seems that most people know us already so it's almost like we're just looking for friendly opportunities to build relationships and share the gospel with people. It's great here.

A little about Třebíč: It's made up of about 50,000 people, most of whom work in a power plant that provides about 1/3 of the power for the czech republic. It's also built on several hills that are very steep, so there aren't any trams (they'd slip) and the transportation isn't very frequent (not a ton of people here). Consequently, I'm getting a pretty good workout. All that MTC/Elder-Smith-is-a-great-cook weight is starting to disappear.

Hope you're all doing well in the states! I'm going to fire up my camera and start taking a ton of pictures. It's absolutely gorgeous here, and I want you all to see what it's like doing missionary work in Třebíč. Good luck for a few days, and I'll be writing again soon.

Cheers,
Elder Brent Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment