Saturday, July 24, 2010

Happy Pioneer Day ( Week 7 in Prague, Week 67 in Czech )

It's been a rather fascinating couple of days here in the land of miracles. Monday-Tuesday we worked on the new statistics system for the mission (it's going to be good), met up with some investigators, and went on exchanges. Wednesday we went to Ceske Budejovice for an exchange, Thursday we went to Brno for an exchange, Friday we had another conference with all the new missionaries and their trainers. And today is Saturday. I'm sipping on a glass of yogurt drink, eating some Czech rolls, and have this really salty but somehow savory cheese that I decided to try out this morning. Today is a good day!

The exchange in Budejovice was interesting, I'd never been there before. It really seemed fascinating how the work differs from one place to another, but how it's also all the same. It just might be the most beautiful city I'd been to so far, but there are a lot of beautiful cities here. The accent there is pretty thick for Bohemia, but it was surprising nonetheless to hear from several sources about my accent. I speak like a moravian! I had no idea, but missionaries and Czechs alike all thought I talked funny, and they could tell in about 4 words that I spoke like I was from Moravia! YES! I have a list of language milestones I've set along the way, and that was one of them. Now for me to figure out the Bohemian accent and be able to bounce my voice around as I choose. It really shocked me though, and it was a huge compliment.

Otherwise, I love what we're doing and I'm grateful that all of our work focuses in on Baptism and helping people receive covenants for themselves with God. I love it.

I do have a few thoughts bouncing around my head today because it's the 24th of July. A student of church history would be quick to identify that the 24th of July, 1847, the pioneer saints arrived in the Salt Lake Valley and Brigham Young declared, "This is the place." But, a student of Czech church history would be quick to identify that on the 24th of July, 1929, Elder John A. Widstoe of the Quorum of the Twelve stood atop Kněží Hora (Priests Hill) near Karlštejn castle and dedicated this land to the preaching of the gospel. In the late 1800s, missionaries from the Europe Austria mission (Then one of the largest missions in the world) started teaching in the Czech Republic but faced great opposition and even imprisonment. After the first world war and the formation of the "First Republic" the Czechs were more receptive to the restored church and her missionaries. But, World War Two interrupted the advances being made, and following a brief period of three years after the war, Communism took root and oppressed the Czech saints until 1990 when the Church received recognition once again. Since that time, thousands of Czechs have been baptized, and there is on the horizon a czech stake with real chapels and stake centers, and not just rented space in other buildings. So exciting!

I've got some homework for you all to read. The first article (http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=cc529527730eb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD) is the story of the Czech saints from the beginning and includes many of the remarkable details you never hear about. (By the way, the mission still publishes the Novy Hlas newsletter today, and one of the descendants of Josef Roubicek is my current district leader)

The second article follows the lives of two incredible saints that made great contributions to the progress of the church here, Jiri and Olga Snederfler. http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=af629527730eb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Today is pioneer day, and with gratitude and reverence towards my own pioneer ancestors and their sacrifices  for me personally, I express equal gratitude to these saints for their dedication and devotion. I've ministered to and been ministered by some of these saints and their children over my mission, and they are great examples of faith and devotion. I hope their examples will inspire us to do what is right when we have challenges for our faith.

Have a great week!
Elder Brent Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment