Saturday, December 11, 2010

The 12th day of Christmas ( Week 27 in Prague, Week 87 in Czech )


Hey everyone,

This last week was spent mostly on the road. We were going from conference to conference, from Zone to Zone, teaching all the missionaries in individual zone meetings. On Wednesday we had a bit of a hectic time trying to get to the insurance office - they'd closed half of the subway system, and in the hustle and bustle, elder Thompson and I were bounced all over Prague. It was almost like a scene from an apocalypse movie with everyone trying to evacuate to outside of the city, except instead it was people just trying to get into buses and trams so they could get home. At any rate, between blizzards and congested public transport, we've had a good week teaching and training the missionaries.

This week's letter will be short, next week's will be really interesting, so stay tuned. In the mean time, let's all count down the next 12 days of Christmas together and make up a list of what the Savior has done for us and what we can do for the Savior this holiday season. Christmas is a time that most people spend together as families and with friends. While I'm out here I'm spending it with Czechs and missionaries, but the most valuable thing is always in the giving of self. I'll be writing more on this as we get nearer to Christmas, but I hope you enjoy this time of year, be it as work and school prepare for the break or as home and family start winding up for the holidays. One thing I will share before I close is a thought President Irwin shared the other day in training. President Irwin is a teacher by profession, and he shared this anecdote:

"One day I was up in front of my class teaching. I had a group of 9 year olds that year, and they were all riveted on my board. I had chalk in hand and I was explaining some concept. I can recall so vividly turning around and putting the chalk on the board to write something, and suddenly a rather simple but profound thought crossed my mind: These children will never get to be 9 again. This is their 9 year-old classroom experience, and they'll never be 9 again. I must give them everything they need while they are still 9, because they will never be 9 again."

That thought really struck me, because today is the only 12th of December 2010. Once it's gone, it's gone. I'm only a missionary once, and once it's gone, it's gone. Don't forget to enjoy time as it passes and to realize that, even when things are really hard or hectic, or if it's normal, or nice, or beautiful, you have it for a moment. Enjoy that moment, and live in such a way that each moment, even during the hard times, is one that you can be pleased with, because you never know when things will change.

Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Brent Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment