Monday, February 22, 2010

"Hey! We've flown halfway around the world to talk with people about the Purpose of Life! Why, no, does that sound weird to you?" ( Week 10 in Olomouc, Week 45 in Czech )

Hey everybody!

So I've got to say that this week is, quite possibly, the best week I've had in a long time. Elder Nestman is a blast. He takes a really fresh, exciting, energy-filled perspective to the work, making sure we focus on the most important things first. I love it. :D

In terms of people we're working with, only two of our investigators are working towards baptism right now. Martin is trying to make his date, but we're not sure if he'll make it this weekend either. We'll see. We're in a major finding mode with our investigators, trying to bring in fresh people to work with, but the people we've been working with recently are still moving forward, slowly but surely. Something interesting I've seen recently is how important it is to work with the members very closely. I suppose for you all out there in real-world land, if you want to help the missionaries in your area then get in touch with them. Tell them you'd like to be on the short list for calling when teaching someone, and look for opportunities to connect people you know with missionaries. Be bold about it, and invite people you know to meet the missionaries. I can guarantee the missionaries will love you more for that than for any number of home-made lasagna dinners you're used to providing them with (Even if homemade lasagna is something we're lacking in out here... :P)

Well, last sunday was district conference. Really exciting seeing a full chapel of czechs and slovaks working with each other and worshipping together. Monday morning Elder Hatch was called to the Office to serve as an assistant to the president, and so I spent a lot of time with the other elders getting things wrapped up with them. I started driving the car 100% last monday too, and guess what: I know how to drive a manual-shift car now! It's AMAZING! I think I felt more confident about learning czech than I did about learning to drive a stick, but it's down, no problem. Tuesday I made jello for english and we started talking about the gospel with our students, one of whom started taking private lessons with us to talk about the gospel, then transfers hit on wednesday. Elder Nestman came in at about 9:30 and we started getting to work immediately. It's so much fun working with him! We had a district meeting on thursday, really interesting because all our district leaders in our zone have been here for 4-6 months. Very, very young. All the same, they did a fantastic job. Leadership conference in Brno (Yes, I drove to Brno - No, our Škoda Fabia isn't like my Buick, but it's a good car to drive), and it was an excellent training on a lot of foundational skills. It helped me a lot because our last conference was for the older generation missionaries. I was the only missionary not going home in 2010 out of the whole group of 25 leadership missionaries. Weird...This time around it was all young missionaries, almost 100%. But, the mission is in good hands and I'm excited to see what's going to happen in the coming weeks. We spent a ton of time finding over the weekend, but not much came of it, so we're going to see what we can do about improving our particular finding skills on the street and when tracting. Last transferw as full of referral work, which makes me feel lazy but really good since our investigators actually *know* they are investigating. This work is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's worth it. It's taken a while to get here, but I really have started feeling some major demands on myself that I don't feel I can, alone, provide. Thank goodness it's not really my work, but missionaries are simply here as proxy for the Lord. We can't do it without him, our work requires him 100%.

Couple of random tidbits: I'm still trying to figure out how washable tattoos can stick to czech paper. Valentine's day was well received here in Olomouc, thanks to everyone for the pictures, letters, and stickers. By the way, my Niece knows how to talk, and that just scares me. She didn't do a whole lot before my mission. Support your bishops and branch presidents, please, because they have a lot more to do with the success of the church in their area than many people realize. Be prepared to teach lesssons on the spot in foreign countries. I think I'm going to be brushing up on teaching gospel principles this transfer. And, finally, did you know the Czech Republic is incredibly beautiful in March - May? Quite possibly the most beautiful place I've ever been for spring.

Well, that's all for now. Crazy to look at what we've got ahead of us this week, but I'm hoping that you all have a great week and keep yourself close to the Lord. We live in a crazy world, and we must have a solid anchor in our lives if we are planning on staying safe. That anchor is a testimony of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It's the only solid base of principles you'll find in this world that is divinely endorsed, directed, and designed. Have a great week, I love and miss you all, and I'll see you sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Elder Brent Anderson

PS - Some questions have popped up regarding my visa. I'll be going to prague next monday to have a chat with the foreign police. If you don't hear from me next week, I'm sorry, but I just might be sitting in a cell waiting to be deported. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment