Saturday, May 22, 2010

An early P-Day and The Parable of the Washing Machine ( Week 23 in Olomouc, Week 58 in Czech )

Hey There everyone!

So, the office sprung this one on us: We've got P-day today instead of Monday, because we're having a joint zone conference on Monday. Great to have that all together now, except you'll just be hearing from me today.

Couple of news flashes: Pavel accepted a baptismal date on Thursday! We've got him on date for the 12th of June, one month to the day that he was guided to us. I'm excited to see how things go down with him. He's reading through the Book of Mormon on his own, has great questions, and is starting to believe! He prayed for the first time on Thursday, which was amazing to see and experience. He's coming to church on Sunday again, and I have no doubts that all will play out just fine in his path to baptism.

A few interesting experiences from the last few days that have taught me a lot. On Wednesday, I felt that I could ask the lord for a perfect day. I did, and it was amazing how it played out. The Lord provided good weather, Pavel's willingness to accept a date so early, we were able to get in touch with another investigator who hadn't been around for a while and who thanked us for it because she was grateful to be doing things with us again, and we found a new investigator who has started to progress. Amazing! All things worked out perfectly, and it was all because of our faith in asking the Lord for it. I wonder what the Lord would give us if we simply asked? Perhaps that is what is meant when the Lord says that Eternal Life is a gift and that we should seek and simply ask for it.

Yesterday we had a zone leader's council in Brno. It was a very spiritual experience, and I learned many things from it. I have a renewed vision and focus for the rest of my mission now, focusing in on bringing the kingdom further through convert baptisms. Nothing else is going to bring the work forward here in the field except for baptisms! And that's where Pavel fits in.

Finally, an interesting parable from Wednesday. We got home and were getting ready for the next day, putting everything together with our plans. Elder McGowan had laundry in our washer and went to take it out, when we realized the machine had broken. The basin was full of water, the machine was making an electronic humming sound but nothing was going on. Following the example of my dad, I got the best tools I had (a couple of kitchen knives and a spoon) and started figuring out what went wrong. I drained the machine, tipped it over, and examined the electronics, pored over connections, tested components, and then started dismantling the front cover to see what had happened. Everything checked out, and all the pieces were in the right places. Puzzled, I put it back together, plugged it in, and it still made the same, low hum. I was frustrated, felt defeated, and felt I had done everything I knew how to do, relying on all my strength and skill to make it work. I was about to go and get the landlord. Then it hit me, and I glanced over at the water connection. Someone had switched the water connection 90 degrees to the right, thereby preventing water from flowing in. The pump was trying to suck water in but could only hum without the flow of water. As the washer continued to hum, I turned the knob. Immediately the familiar swoosh of water filled the room, and the washer began to finish it's cycle.

What do we learn from this? I think many things, but for me I learned that often times in life we take ourselves apart, looking at everything we're doing, trying to see what's broken, or what's not good enough, or what ought to be better. While draining the washer, I cleaned out some mineral deposits, but otherwise it was in good working order. The difference was when I simply let the water flow into the machine so it could do it's job. As a missionary, I'm encouraged to set goals, to repent, to live the gospel, to stretch myself and my faith, and to do all I can to fulfill my mission. But really, it's His mission and he's called us to His vineyard to do His work. How often do we forget that he's the senior companion, that it's His work, and that sometimes we simply just need to ask him and get ourselves out of the way so that He can effectively work through us. The washer was fine, but it was struggling because there was no water. How often are we just fine, but we feel choked and struggling without the flow of the Spirit, not because we're unworthy, but because we won't accept it? All too often, but I'm grateful the Lord teaches us through our experiences to help us become who we need to be.

That's all for now, you'll be hearing from me on the 31st of May. In the mean time, I love you all and I'm excited for another week of miracles in the Land of Miracles, the Czech Republic.

Love,
Elder Brent Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment