Monday, May 10, 2010

Of frustration, learning and Pop Tarts ( Week 21 in Olomouc, Week 56 in Czech )

Hello All,

So it's been an interesting week. We're seeing right now a lot of miracles, but we're not seeing follow through with people. On saturday night, for example, it was 8:40 and we said we'd talk to 5 more people. The first four didn't go very far, but we knew the Lord would bless us with the fifth. Then the fifth came along, we taught him about the restoration, and he said, "I've been looking for the true church too!" We were thrilled! So exciting to hear that from someone, particularly after a long day. We went in to get his phone number, and he was taken aback. "Oh, I think the information is interesting, but I'm not very interested in meeting again. Thanks though!" It was shocking to see how often that happened this week. So, if you're praying for missionaries, I'd ask you all to pray that the right people will be led to us and will want to commit. We're looking at everything we're doing to improve and grow, and your prayers make a huge difference, believe me.

We started last week as an entire mission re-reading the book of mormon at 10 pages a day. It's remarkable seeing the details that come out every time you read the Book of Mormon again. Something great that stuck out to me was that Nephi never once complained, even though he could have so many times. The biggest example I think was one of his toughest trials: being tied up on a boat in a storm for four days wondering if his children would drown, his parents make it, his family and extended family included, meanwhile his brothers wanted to kill him and he was defenseless. His wrists hurt, his legs hurt, and he could have thrown up his hands and said "Why me? Why now? Where is the Lord? What's going on? Where is that promised land?" But, he didn't. His brothers, upon coming to terms with their emminent destruction, they loosed him. And he prayed with gratitude for the Lord and for all that he had received from Him. He was grateful!  How often do we go through trials frustrated or grudgingly? All too often. But he did not flinch. What a great example!

Another thing that stuck out to me this week was Accountability. I read the Preach My Gospel passage on Accountability this week, and it might have changed my mission. We have to want to be accountable in many instances, and our understanding of our accountability to the Lord can truly make us great leaders. Leadership is a highly lacking attribute in the world today, the ability to stand as an example and to help others to find thier way to success, happiness, and progress, to help them to become better. But it all comes from our personal understanding of our relationship to the Lord and to others, and when we feel that accountability for our personal progress as well as our accountability for blessing the lives of those around us, particularly through prayer to the Lord regularly, then we become enabled with the vission and the direction we need in order to want to invoke those blessings.

Grab bag: My dad is doing well and is recovering well from his surgeries, etc. Really glad to hear about that. Another random grab bag: My parents sent me several pouches of pop-tarts the other day. Yes, several - I haven't seen so many pop-tarts since I said my parting goodbyes last year to Dennis, the pop-tart toaster at school. Oh, it's the simple things in life you treasure.

Have a great week everyone, and I hope that you see the hand of the Lord in your lives as we have in ours.

Love,
Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment