Monday, April 12, 2010

Nadherný Dní ( Week 17 in Olomouc, Week 52 in Czech )

Hey Everbody,
It's been a really interesting week. I don't know if I've done quite this much service on my entire mission for a single week. Up through Wednesday we spent time serving the other elders here in olomouc and trying to figure out why we're seeing a slowdown in progressing people. Wednesday night came around and everything got spun on it's head. We went out to a member family to help them do some service, and it ended up being an evening of dismantling an old shack used to keep split logs dry for firewood. We took down all the shingles and the rafters, and this week we'll be going in to dismantle the brick foundation. It was pretty intense. The whole structure was bigger than some apartments I've seen, but we've gotten it all just about taken care of. Thursday morning we were with President and Sister Slováček doing interviews and working on teaching skills. I really love my mission president a ton, he's one of the most remarkable priesthood leaders I've ever met. If I were able to measure up to his level I'd consider myself pretty successful.
Then, thursday evening rolled in. We had a trip to Ostrava planned for a baptismal interview. We got into Ostrava and found out that the candidate for baptism wasn't going to make his interview time due to an emergency in the family. So, we got to work teaching lessons and finding in the mean time. The candidate for baptism arrived back very late, but we still got the interview done. We spent the night in Ostrava, came back on Friday morning, and got to work again. I think that our experience in Ostrava required a lot more patience than we might have been interested in providing, but I'm grateful that it all worked out in the end. Lessons on Friday, and then Saturday/Sunday Conference! We had a great time watching it with some of the members in English and taking notes to learn and find out better ways to serve. I think my favorite talks were easily Elder Rasband's and Elder Oaks' from priesthood session, but there were good things from the entire conference. What are you planning on doing better because of conference?
I've been thinking a lot about my testimony recently. Out here "in the field" and among so many different types of people, it is very hard to maintain the right perspective sometime. That anchor of faith that we talk about requires a lot of support and strengthening. The world is seriously careening through a rolling sea of disaster right now in so many ways, morally comes to mind the most I think. But, as they declared loud and clear at conference, our homes are the front line in the battle for the souls of men. Do we honestly believe that all the time? I know that when the time comes for me to establish my family, it will be absolutely necessary to found that home on the priesthood and righteousness and obedience between me and my wife. Anything else won't cut it. Really, we have to have that kind of a perspective in our lives and not just coast or let little things get in the way. Wobbly testimonies and obedience will result in a wobbly and crooked path. Now, does the Lord expect us to do it perfectly every step of the way? No, but he does desire us to find the best we can do and to do it well. Amazing how the Gospel is the pattern for becoming our best selves and for drawing the best out of each of us. Anything else does not have a strong enough motive, a strong enough drive to push us to the end. Our vision of Eternity and eternal families saves our families and homes because we know why we need to make it work now, today. I feel so good just thinking about it!
Well, next week is transfers. I'll be sure to drop in a note at least to let you know how things work out, but I'm honestly very anxious for this next week. Who knows what will happen? Even still, it probably doesn't require me to worry. The Lord is in charge of all these things, and I hope that you are all keeping your relationship with Him in the first position. The best moments on my mission have been and will probably be the moments of contact I've had with heaven. If only we had those connections all the time.
Love you all, good luck this week!
Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment