Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thoughts on Charity ( Week 16 in Olomouc, Week 51 in Czech )

It's been said by a wizard that a heart is not measured by how much it can love, but by how much it is loved by others. Isn't it neat what happens when we take a look around us and consider what the Lord has done for us despite all the problems we sometimes face in life? Right now, I have to say that I have been happier this week (and, probably sadder) than perhaps ever before in my life. We went on two exchanges and the Lord was willing to changes the weather to meet what we needed to accomplish. I say that knowing that all the Czechs I knew were very confused when it came to the weather last week. The weekend was supposed to be stormy. It was sunny, as was the rest of the week on the whole. Well, I take that back. We made a deal with the Lord every morning when it was foggy and storming that, if he could get what he needed done, we'd like good clear weather by noon when we are finished with studies and lunch. And, like clockwork, every day cleared out like that. Even on saturday when all our english students wanted to go on a trip to a local castle and had to cancel because of the weather forecast, it was clear and sunny because we prayed it that way. You don't have to believe me if you like, but it's true.

It's interesting how the Lord provides us happiness in the details of our lives. This last week looking at children chasing pigeons on the town square by fountains made me happy, or looking up into the sky on our way home from long days and seeing countless billions of stars and constellations and realizing, just like ancient people used stars to chart their courses, the Lord has provided us with our own maps through life, our own constellations that orient us on the path of life. These constellations are prophets, scriptures, and temples. Our course is set by covenants we make with Him, and everything we do in the path of life can be designed and guided and directed by the principles He teaches us every day through these channels, as well as our own personal revelation.

I learned just this morning that life is not so much about doing what is right and wrong, splitting hairs on the way about what is right in these ways, but rather that each of us is on a path and it depends on where we want to go. Most people stay docked and don't venture out into the stormy seas. But, when the end of the day is come, we won't be able to say we haven't gotten what we wanted. The Lord provides us with laws and covenants. When we sin, we are breaking laws. The scriptures often used the word "crime" in place of "sin" to illustrate this principle.

One of the biggest things is that we are given trials that stretch us, and this stretching is what makes us something greater. I can say I am more appreciative, more grateful, a lot softer, and happier than I was a year ago. I can say that I've a much broader and deeper depth of feeling and compassion for people with suffering in their lives. But I also have a much deeper understanding of the purpose of the trials and the blessings we have in life. It all leads us back home, and it is vital for us to maintain faith in the Lord, in His promises, and not just in them, but actually to believe Him and to believe His promises. He says we'll make it. Well, I guess we will! He says we can let go of pain and sorrow. Well, I guess we can. Why not? The Gospel seems to inspire men and women to look for something higher and something greater, and not just to simply meander through life aimlessly until the end of the day when nothing has changed. We are here to become like our Heavenly Father, who's faith and will and power and knowledge are perfect. Why would we personally settle for anything less than that?

Sorry if this letter has waxed a bit philosophical. We've been in a hurry this morning and I'm afraid that this is what has been on my mind the most this week. This last week we've seen a lot of cleansing in our area. Long term investigators falling off, uninterested investigators wandering off, however our finding has been faith filled. We're perfecting contacting couples in the park now that the weather is better. Last week we found 5 people, two couples and another man. Amazing how much the Lord blesses you when you trust him. Now to get these people progressing more than just through one or two meetings. If you're praying for missionaries, pray for real, solid, interested, and commitment keeping people to find the missionaries. That's what we need at the moment. In the mean time, we'll do our best to find them first.

I love you all, hope your week is great, and happy year in the country. Kind of funny to think I haven't seen America for a year as of tomorrow. But, it's all worth it, and I'm rather pleased with how far the Lord has taken me personally along the way. When you think about it, missionaries are trying to lead their brothers and sisters along, but the Lord probably sees us as His investigators, if you put it in those terms. I hope I'm as good of an investigator as I want to have from the Lord.

Elder Brent Anderson

PS - If you are putting anything in the Mail for my olomouc address, please do so in the next 24 hours. We have transfers the week of the 19th and I doubt I will be staying for much longer. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment