Saturday, March 5, 2011

"Elder Anderson: Why are you still here?" ( Week 39 in Prague, Week 99 in Czech )

Well, I think for most missionaries it tends to be a very important milestone in life overall and a sort of closure to the mission when you go to the airport. This week was transfers, and everything's really mixed up this time. Lots of new leadership, Slovak and czech zones are mixed up, etc. It's good, and it's also unusual to not see your name on the list.

Then wednesday came. All the new missionaries were so excited to get out into the field, and I was happy to give them their missionary cards and a brief orientation on "temporal matters" before they headed off on the greatest adventures of their lives. Then, Elder Nestman and Elder Fish and Sister Newbold showed up. They spent the afternoon walking around Prague and enjoying the time together (it was still a working day for me). That night came, and we all trundled off to President's apartment for an evening meal and devotional, some testimonies and parting words, and then it was off to bed for a bright and early trip to the airport.

This is the part where things started to get really funny for me. This really quiet voice from some part of me was saying "You know, aren't I supposed to have suitcases on this trip to the airport? Elder Fish does..." We checked in and took pictures and said goodbyes. Then, after a quick border crossing check and the click of a turnstile, Elder Fish walked around the corner and was gone. The other two departing missionaries were eagerly anticipating their parents, who came and whisked them off

And somehow, that afternoon, I found myself sitting at my desk calling Germany and a car dealership downtown about several new mission vehicles. I'm still laughing to myself: "I must be the only missionary to actually 'survive' the airport!"

It's really strange being here right now, but not in a bad way or a sad way. It's quite funny, really. The Czechs lovingly call me "part of the furniture" since I've been in the branch for so long and I've worked with so many of them on such a frequent basis. And here I am, still at that same desk. Today is still preparation day, so we're off to go and prepare and shop and what not. The replacement office couple is right now driving back from the airport with President Irwin, and I'll be starting with them on Monday. But, there's work to be done and people to be taught still, and I think the Lord will get one more baptism just yet before he's through with me. Pray for my investigators, and pray for the baptismal interview to go down well tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing you all, and I'm looking forward to sticking it through the next week or so and staying focused as we approach General Conference. For some reason, it's harder to wait for this conference than usual. I must really like general conference. :-)

Love,
Elder Brent Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment