Monday, March 28, 2011

On our way home

Well, here I am. I've got this MacBook Pro with black keys and a solid aluminum frame sitting on my lap. In spite of my better judgement, I have a secret to share. More of an embarrassment, really. I've not touched an Apple laptop/device for two years. When I've emailed, it's been windows, and in the office it's all windows. My lil' brother loaned his laptop to me to start getting the last two years of emails and facebook cleaned up and organized and all.

And I've forgotten how to use a Mac. Well, that's almost not true. It's just taken about 30 minutes to re-learn pressing the "command" button instead of the "control" button, and a few other odds and ends. With that little anecdote out of the way, let's get started…


*RIIIIINGGGG! RIIIIINGGGGG!!!!*

#Click!#

"…..hello????"

"Good morning Mr. Anderson, this is your wakeup call. We hope you slept well! Have a nice day!"

The automated wakeup call clicked off almost as fast as it clicked on. Elder Anderson didn't sleep much. They had driven home from Ostrava that day after church and saying goodbyes to members and friends. Instead of taking the freeway, they pulled out of Ostrava and took the longer and more scenic route through the winding Czech countryside. It was a rather surreal setting for the closing scenes of Elder Anderson's mission. Czechs, old buildings, castles, forests, hills all blurred together and he simply smiled.

After pulling into the mission home in Prague to pick up his remaining luggage. As they buzzed the front doorbell, President Irwin popped his head out and grinned broadly. As they wandered up the stairs into the office, they were greeted by Elders Thompson and Andersen and President and Sister Irwin. While the Andersons were expecting a brief step in to say hello and then sneak out the back door again, they instead got sat down in President Irwins office so that Elder Anderson's parents could chat with the Irwins while President Irwin grabbed Elder Anderson to do a few more things in the office. Kind of a funny yet fitting ending to the extended "P-Day" they'd been having. But, after taking care of a few pressing office matters, they said their "see you laters" and then left for their airport-side hotel.

That night was unusual. They wanted to get some sleep early, but they needed to balance their luggage. In the end, it was about 11 PM that they went to bed, and they had set a wake up call for 5 AM.

Elder Anderson couldn't sleep. Thinking about where he'd been and where he was going was too engaging for him to actually rest properly. He must have drifted off at some point, but before long the wakeup call came and they started moving very quickly. Before they knew it, they were at the airport….



I'm afraid that my brain has switched off to writing for the night. Here are the highlights:


  • My luggage was actually all under weight. Ironically, my parents luggage was overweight.
  • Even more ironically, their carry-on luggage that was fine coming to Europe was "too big" in going back to the US. So, they also ended up checking both their carry on bags. On the downside, they didn't have anything in the airplane at all. On the upside, they didn't see any of their luggage until this afternoon in Salt Lake.
  • I was laughing all the way to the security check: The advance check in denied my tickets, and I thought it would be hilarious if my parents had to go home without me because I didn't have any tickets. How great would that be: 26 months and then stuck at the airport.
  • The first leg of the trip to Paris was pretty good. It was definitely hard to see it all go from a little cabin window.
  • We landed in Paris late. Charles de Gaulle airport is very large, rather impressive in some ways, but when you have to catch a plane and you're running late it becomes a marathon.
  • After a fiasco with making a customs claim in Paris (which wasted some time still), we ran to our terminal and sat down, however our location prevented us from hearing the overhead speakers. Just as we arrived, my mother was inspired to use the restroom. Interestingly enough, in the restroom she could hear what that loudspeaker was saying perfectly. It sounded something like this: "Last call for the Anderson Family - Last call at Terminal 76!" When my mom heard that, she ran to our seats, grabbed our bags, and said "RUN!" We made the gate just as they were closing the doors. It was very exciting.
  • The 12 hour flight from Paris was long. I was, however, very impressed with the in-flight refreshments: Basically three small meals and beverages every 1.5 hours. It makes one feel very sedentary, since all you're doing is sitting, they're playing films, and you're eating/drinking regularly. I'm starting my running routine again on Wednesday.
  • Everything else was pretty good. The most surprising thing: The turning lane or "Suicide lane" in the middle of the roads, english billboards, and the lovely renovating my parents have been undertaking since I've left. My siblings are all older, and the new additions to the Anderson clan are great.
Good night. I'm very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment